GRADUATION - Under Construction
June 1, 2023
Thursday, June 1, 9:00am, Maverik Center
Graduation Practice May 31, 8:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. - Large Gym (Mandatory)
- 8:30 a.m. to 8:50 a.m. - Graduates will pick up their name card from their Counselor in the Large Gym.
- 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. - Graduates will review and practice the following: Dress Code, processional, seating, reading of the names, recessional, turning in gowns, receiving diploma.
Commencement Processional Line Up June 1, 8:00am, Maverik Center Tunnels
- Graduates: Graduating Seniors are required to be in the tunnels below Maverik Center at 8:00am -one hour before the commencement ceremony begins.
o Ladies – Enter the “Grizzlies” entrance at ground level on the east side
o Gentlemen – Enter the VIP entrance at ground level on the south side
- Best Dress - Dress Shirts, Ties, Dockers/Slacks, Dresses or Dress pants (No flip flops or shorts). You should have your cap and gown (without wrinkles). A well-dressed graduation class will make a more classy and memorable experience for everyone.
- Purses, backpacks, bags, phones or other items to carry should be left at home.
- Personal items that draw undue attention such as ostentatious clothing, jewelry, cap decorations, corsages, flower leis, candy leis, unauthorized sashes, medals and cords WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.
- Jordan District Policy AA402 - “In order to maintain dignity and decorum at high school commencements, students participating in commencement exercises are subject to the dress and grooming standards articulated in Policy AA419 Student Conduct and Dress, and must wear the prescribed cap and gown during the entire duration of the commencement program, from the opening processional to completion of the recessional, without additional ornamentation or decoration. Personal items such as clothing, accessories or jewelry, that draw undue attention or detract from the dignity and decorum of the occasion, shall not be allowed. Mantles, cords, insignias or medals signifying achievement, honor or recognition are restricted to awards issued and approved for display at graduation by the local high school.”
- ALLOWED SASHES, MEDALS, CORDS
- Jordan School District Recognition
- Tech Center Leadership Medal
- CHHS Recognition
- NHS Sash
- Top 7%
- Sterling Scholar
- End of Year Recognitions
- Valedictorian Medal
- Salutatorian Medal
- Alpha Ursa Medal
- Male and Female Athlete of the year Medals
- Leadership Medal
- Spirit Medal
- CHHS awarded Honor Chords
- CTE Associated Award Medallions (FBLA, DECA, SkillsUSA)
- Associates Degree Recognition
- Salt Lake Community College Honors
- After the ceremony is complete, graduates will return to the tunnels. They will return their gowns (they keep the cap and tassel) and receive a ticket. The ticket will be proof they have returned their gown, and they can then get their diploma from their counselor in the tunnels.
- IF YOU WANT PICTURES OF YOUR GRADUATE (AND FRIENDS) IN THEIR CAPS AND GOWNS, YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE THESE PICTURES BEFORE GRADUATION.
Commencement June 1, 9:00am – Maverik Center
- Due to our limited seating capacity, we are asking families to bring 2-8 people. We anticipate that this will be a FULL CAPACITY event.
- All spectators will need to pass through Maverik Center Security/metal detectors. Large bags are strongly discouraged as they take longer to inspect. Please anticipate this delay as you come to the event.
- Firearms and airhorns are not permitted into Maverik Center for this event.
- It is requested that attending family members and friends dress appropriately for the occasion.
- Graduate names are read quickly to accommodate time – please refrain from excessive cheering for your graduate, as this may prevent the next’s student’s name from being heard.
Commencement Parking Procedures
Parking: Please be courteous to our fellow Grizzlies as you park at Maverik Center. We have another graduation before ours that should be cleared out by 12:30pm. In case there is an issue, Maverik Center has suggested we use their overflow parking to the northeast (kitty corner) from Maverik Center. For families needing handicap accessible parking, it’s better to park in Maverik Center parking. Both lots are best accessed from 3100 S, on the north side of their property. You can access 3100 S directly from Bangerter Highway, or Redwood Rd, but not from I215. DO NOT PARK IN the SPS lot across the street from Maverik. They will tow your vehicle, and they have security diligently checking their lot.
We look forward to sharing this celebration with you and your graduate! Thank you for being familiar with this information and working with us on creating a positive and memorable experience for all involved.
ü Graduation practice is mandatory (May 31, 8:30am at CHHS)
ü Take cap and gown photos BEFORE graduation (gowns turned in after ceremony)
ü Graduates in the Maverik tunnels June 1 by 8:00am, nicely dressed with cap and gown (nothing to carry)
ü Maverik regular and overflow parking are most easily accessed via 3100 S
ü Parents seated by 9:00am after passing Maverik security – large bags discouraged
ü Maverik security does not allow airhorns or firearms at this event
ü Parents are NOT ALLOWED on the arena floor or the tunnels before, during, or after this event